About 9.15pm on Monday 19 October 2020, emergency services were called to Bareki Road, Eleebana, following reports a Honda Civic travelling north and a Ford Mondeo travelling south collided at the intersection of Eleebana Road.
The driver of the Honda – a 46-year-old man from Abermain – was trapped for a short time before being taken to John Hunter Hospital with serious internal injuries; he has since been released from hospital.
Two children in the Ford – aged five and six-weeks-old – suffered serious head injuries and were taken to John Hunter Hospital. They have since been released from hospital.
The male driver of the Ford, aged 36, and his female passenger, aged 31, were uninjured during the crash.
Officers attached to the Hunter Crash Investigation Unit commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash.
Following extensive inquiries, police attended a home on Cessnock Road, Abermain, and spoke with a 46-year-old man.
He was issued with a future court attendance notice for the following offences:
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – drive manner dangerous
- Cause bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle (x2)
- Negligent driving (occasioning grievous bodily harm)
- Negligent driving (no death or grievous bodily harm)
- Drive vehicle illicit drug present in blood
- Not keep left of dividing line-not class B/C vehicle
He is due to appear at Belmont Local Court on Wednesday 21 April 2021.